For the next “This Day in History” post, I came across this list of White House visitors for January 24th, 1912. A long list of prominent individuals visited President Taft that day, from the Italian Ambassador, to the Secretary of War and many Members of Congress.
This is the early 20th century version of open government and transparency and it’s really interesting to see this printed in the newspaper.
Here’s a photo of Henry Stimson, Taft’s Secretary of War.
- Video: Teddy Roosevelt Leaving the White House, Going For a Walk (ghostsofdc.org)
- William Howard Taft – Chief Justice Nomination (1921) (riceonhistory.wordpress.com)
- 100 Years Ago: President and Mrs. Taft Dine at Knox Residence (ghostsofdc.org)
- President Lincoln Seeks to Oblige Senators (abrahamlincolnandthecivilwar.wordpress.com)
- 8 Most Elaborate White House State Dinners in History (thedailymeal.com)
- Possible Replacement of Head of Army Ordnance (abrahamlincolnandthecivilwar.wordpress.com)