Tag: Swampoodle

Swampoodle Grounds (near present day Union Station), also known as Capitol Park, was the home of the Washington Nationals baseball team of the National League from 1886 to 1889.

Check Out the Nationals of the 1880s

This fascinating old photograph shows the Washington Nationals playing at Swampoodle Grounds in the 1880s. Click on it for some amazing details. Source: Architect of...
Swampoodle Houses

Irish Thief and Family Arrested in Swampoodle for Assaulting Officers

This is a colorful story for the lost neighborhood of Swampoodle. We came across the article in The Washington Post, printed on October 20th, 1879. Morris...
View from the Capitol Roof

View from the Roof of the Capitol … in 1861

Not many of us get to see Washington, DC from the roof of the Capitol. None of us ever got to see the view...
Photograph shows view of Washington, D.C., taken from U.S. Capitol, showing Douglas Hospital, Old Douglas House, Railway Station, The Washington, or Wilkes House, St. Aloysius, Government Printing Office, Glenwood Cemetery, Swampoodle, Old Mill.

View of Swampoodle from Capitol Building in 1861

Here's a good one to study. This is a view from the Capitol Building looking north, very early during the Civil War.
1903 map of Swampoodle

Map of Swampoodle and Proposed Union Depot

Here's another map of Swampoodle from 1903. Make sure you check out the 1888 one and compare them. This has the proposed Union Station...

1888 Map of Swampoodle

GoDCers love maps ... and they love Swampoodle. If you're unfamiliar with Swampoodle, it was a rough and tumble, working-class Irish neighborhood which was...
New Gonzaga College advertisement in the Washington Times - August 31st, 1913

The New Gonzaga College in 1913

Along the same lines as the earlier post today with the St. Albans advertisement, here is another prominent (and old) local school. Gonzaga had...

Two Plumbers and a Plasterer Go Looking for Trouble and Find...

Swampoodle sounds like an area filled with some tough blue-collar dudes. Here's a little column I found in the Post from January 21st, 1895...