Historical Events, Notable People & Places / 02.03.2012

The hundred square mile plot selected as the new seat of government was not unclaimed land. There were farms, estates and towns that were being swallowed up by United States government. But, I should add, that this wasn't a case of eminent domain. Nineteen original landowners were negotiated with, directly by George Washington himself at the end of March, 1791. He met with them during the day and in the evening, closed the deal with them at Suter's Tavern in Georgetown. By the way, Suter's -- formally known as the Fountain Inn -- was the main gathering place in Georgetown at the time and is purported to have been at what is presently 31st and K St. NW. After acquiring all the land for the new federal district, Washington wrote a letter to fellow Founding Father and Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson.
Notable People & Places, Other Cool Stuff / 02.03.2012

Way back in the day, the building we now know as the White House was called the "President's Palace", "President's Mansion", or the "President's House." The nomenclature evolved over time, with the accepted name for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue becoming the "Executive Mansion." It wasn't until Teddy Roosevelt's presidency that the building would be officially referred to at "The White House." In March 1792, the three appointed commissioners overseeing the planning and design of the new city (Thomas Jefferson, Daniel Carroll and David Stuart), put out an advertisement to all major towns in the United States calling for designs to be submitted for the new President's House.
A premium of five hundred dollars or a medal of that value to the person, who before the 15th of the following July, should produce to them the first approved plan, if adopted by them, for a President's House. On the 16th of July it was recorded that the President of the United States with the Commissioners examined the several plans for the Capitol and the Palace which had been forwarded agreeably to advertisements of the 14th of March.