In 1924, Washington, D.C. was a bustling city with a growing number of cars on its streets. As automobiles became more common, so did the need for services such as oil changes and tune-ups. One such service was the “Wasson Motor Check”, which was offered by the Havoline Oil Company at the Texaco Station on the corner of Florida Avenue and 14th Street.
The “Wasson Motor Check” was a comprehensive check-up for automobiles, designed to ensure that they were in top condition for driving on the city’s busy streets. The check-up included an inspection of the car’s engine, brakes, and other key components, as well as an oil change using Havoline Oil Company’s high-quality motor oil.
The Texaco Station where the “Wasson Motor Check” was held was a popular spot for car owners in the area. The station was located on a busy corner, making it easily accessible to motorists traveling on either Florida Avenue or 14th Street. The station also featured a large sign advertising the “Wasson Motor Check”, which would have been visible from a distance and helped to attract customers.
The photo, which was taken by the National Photo Company Collection, shows participants in the “Wasson Motor Check” standing outside the Texaco Station. The men in the photo are dressed in suits and hats, and many of them are holding papers or other items related to the check-up. Several cars are visible in the background, parked along the street or waiting to be serviced.
Also, here’s an ad for the Wasson Motor Check from the August 2nd, 1924 Washington Post.