The Winder Building After the Civil War

Here is a shot of the Winder Building, some time after the Civil War. It looks to be in quite a state of disrepair, and it’s amazing that this building is still standing and in use by the U.S. Trade Representative.

- click image for more -
Winder Building in the 1870s
Winder Building in the 1870s

Here is the building today on Google Street View … a little ugly, because it’s under construction.

[googlemaps https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=38.897062,-77.03948&spn=0.011623,0.021436&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38.897247,-77.039488&panoid=Pj-Levluul6AWSWZY1DnkA&cbp=12,316.22,,0,-8.74&source=embed&output=svembed]

About Tom

Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District.

Check Also

Ulysses S. Grant, full-length portrait, facing left, standing alongside his war horse, "Cincinnati"

Metro Policeman Arrests U.S. President for Speeding

This is one of the more interesting personal stories that we’ve uncovered. For a while …

  • djdc

    “The Winder Building, at the corner of 17th and F Streets west of the White House, was built
    in 1847–48 by William H. Winder, who leased most of the space to the U.S. government.
    The Corps of Engineers made it their headquarters from then until 1889. The building,
    seen here in the Civil War era, has been subject to very few alterations and still
    stands today.”
    From:
    http://publications.usace.army.mil/publications/eng-pamphlets/EP_870-1-67/toc.htm