Two bison in a paddock in the South Yard behind the Smithsonian Institution Building. They were acquired in 1886 by the Department of Living Animals, which eventually became the National Zoological Park. This photograph, taken sometime between 1886 and 1889, predates the founding of the National Zoo (Smithsonian)
Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District. He lives in Columbia Heights with Mrs. Ghost and Ghost Dog.
On September 3rd, 2013, the second site launched as Ghosts of Baltimore.