Hawkins Motors at 1529 14th Street

We received an email the other day from Stuart asking about 1529 14th St. NW, now the location of the Matrix. After a quick search, we came up with about 100 advertisements in 1930-1931 for Hawkins Motors, which was located in the building back then. Here’s the advertisement that was running in The Washington Post for the company.

Hawkins Motors advertisement in 1931
Hawkins Motors advertisement in 1931

About Tom

Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District.

Check Also

Washington, D.C., circa 1931. "Fifteenth Street at Pennsylvania Avenue." Note the traffic lights, which made their D.C. debut in 1926, as well as the traffic-cop gazebo at center ("NO LEFT TURN") and streetcar switch tower to its left. Harris & Ewing Collection glass negative.

Looking Up 15th St. at Pennsylvania Ave. in 1931

This great old photo shows the view looking north on 15th St., just east of …