This is what the Lincoln Memorial looked like in its early days. This photo is from 1917, during construction of the memorial.
Source: Library of Congress
Also, don’t forget to check out this post on the dedication of the memorial with Lincoln’s son, Robert Todd, in attendance.
Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District. He lives in Columbia Heights with Mrs. Ghost and Ghost Dog. On September 3rd, 2013, the second site launched as Ghosts of Baltimore.