Dixie-Hot Fried Chicken on 14th Street

Sadly, this place no longer exists. And, the building it was in, is long gone. But, back in the day you could go to 2213 14th St. NW for some delicious fried chicken.

The ad was placed on May 20th, 1939 in the Baltimore Afro-American.

Dixie Chicken Shop advertisement (May 20th, 1939)
Dixie Chicken Shop advertisement (May 20th, 1939)

This sounds pretty damn good.

About Tom

Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District.

Check Also

Washington, D.C., circa 1931. "Fifteenth Street at Pennsylvania Avenue." Note the traffic lights, which made their D.C. debut in 1926, as well as the traffic-cop gazebo at center ("NO LEFT TURN") and streetcar switch tower to its left. Harris & Ewing Collection glass negative.

Looking Up 15th St. at Pennsylvania Ave. in 1931

This great old photo shows the view looking north on 15th St., just east of …