This is a terrific old map from 1867 that we dug up at the Library of Congress. The land on top of which St. Elizabeths Hospital was built had been referred to as St. Elisabeth since the Colonial times and the hospital had informally taken the area’s name ever since.
The land was subdivided into acre lots on this map after the Civil War, to be sold to freedmen. Make sure to click on the map for greater detail.
Source: Library of Congress
Take a look at the approximate area today on the Google Map. Some of the roads have the same names and you can see some lots are the same.
Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District. He lives in Columbia Heights with Mrs. Ghost and Ghost Dog. On September 3rd, 2013, the second site launched as Ghosts of Baltimore.