Park and Shop on Connecticut Avenue

If you live in Cleveland Park, or have ever seen a movie at the Uptown, you will recognize the photo below. This is the Park and Shop at Connecticut Ave. and Ordway St.

It was built in 1930 as one of the country’s oldest strip malls.

- click image for more -
Park and Shop on Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park
Park and Shop on Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park

The development was done by Shannon & Luchs, and at the time was a major departure from existing commercial development plans. Parking had become a major problem for commercial areas, and creating a large setback from the street to allow for parking was a major boon to shoppers and store owners alike.

Park and Shop mock-up in the Washington Post - September 14th, 1930
Park and Shop mock-up in the Washington Post – September 14th, 1930

Check out the invitation for a public opening on Friday, December 5th, 1930. This was published that day in the Washington Post.

 

Park and Shop opening advertisement - Washington Post (December 5th, 1930)
Park and Shop opening advertisement – Washington Post (December 5th, 1930)

About Tom

Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District.

Check Also

Washington, D.C., circa 1931. "Fifteenth Street at Pennsylvania Avenue." Note the traffic lights, which made their D.C. debut in 1926, as well as the traffic-cop gazebo at center ("NO LEFT TURN") and streetcar switch tower to its left. Harris & Ewing Collection glass negative.

Looking Up 15th St. at Pennsylvania Ave. in 1931

This great old photo shows the view looking north on 15th St., just east of …

  • Nick

    Interesting that In 1930, Piggly Wiggly was this far North. Closest PW’s that I know of are in S. Virginia bordering on N. Carolina.